Monday, June 1, 2009

To drive or not to drive? Definitely to DRIVE!

I have been for the 3rd time reviewing the Learner’s book (similar to Driver’s book). And hoping I get the exam, pass it and practice driving. I must admit, I procrastinated for years and now I am in a hurry to get my driver’s license ASAP so I could use it for my daughter and for work. And I get tired of taking a cab or bus. It feels comfortable to just sit in your own car, max up the AC and listen to my fave music in my XM radio.
How did this happen? I have been in Canada for almost 3 years and I do not drive my car yet.
Well, to start the story. I came here November 2006 and its winter time so obviously, I have to wait until Spring to Summer to practice driving. So came May 2007, I was already working at Brainhunter and my office is in the South East (I live in the North West), so you could just imagine If I will be driving, it would be more convenient for me as it takes 2 long rides (sometimes 3) to go back and forth to my work. But then again, as I was about to take the driver’s test by June 2007. I found out that I am pregnant! And I was so nauseated to even ride in the bus that time! I had to take a cab to and from work. Of course, if Noel is around. He drives me to/from work. And I red in a paper that it is not a good time to practice driving if you’re pregnant. Of course it is ok to drive when you’re pregnant if you are already a professional driver but in my case, I am just starting so it is very dangerous to try that. Ok, so I had to wait again for another year to practice driving. This time, I am more eager since I thought to myself, I have to do this since I will be mostly visible to medical clinics as I have to bring Ella for monthly check up, immunizations, etc.
So came May 2008. It’s Spring time! And I am still on maternity leave (here in Canada, we can take a year off for our maternity leave and its paid by the government). Just when I was ready to take the exam and practice driving, I never thought it would be this hard for me to manage my time. While Noel is at work (he works in the oil field and usually he’s not home for 2-3 weeks). I attended to Ella up until May 15th, after that I’ve decided to go back to work (as requested by my boss) and leave my daughter to the care of my Mother in law. I was hoping then to insert some time to my already busy schedule, dedicated only to driving. But it didn’t happen. My routine was wake up in the morning at around 7am, leave for work, home by 5pm, cook food for us, clean the house, clean Ella’s bottles, etc. By the time I’m done, it is almost sleep time for my daughter and on top of that, I am breastfeeding her. So what happen to weekends? Well, my mother in law is going home by Thursday and not here until Monday morning or Sunday night. Obviously, I can’t drive as no one will take care of Ella. Did I mention that I even bought a brand new SUV just for my daughter?! Well, I figured out that It would be uncomfortable for us to use my husband’s car (it’s a two door sports car) to travel with Ella. So I’ve decided to get myself a brand new MDX to serve as a family car as well as a mommy/office car if I drive it to work.
So this year is my last chance so to speak! I have to do this for myself as I am getting tired of commuting where in fact, there are 2 cars in our garage waiting for me to drive them. Well, only one as Noel’s car is manual so I am left with my mommy car. Again, I HAVE TO DO THIS FOR MYSELF! It’s now June 1st and summer is until September so I only have 3 months to go. Goodluck to me. But it’s now or NEVER! =)

Acura RSX and MDX